Monday, May 31, 2010

Dedication of a Lifetime

What a week of successes! Rather than run you through everything I did this week (which might bore you to tears), I'll just hit the training highlights from the week.

Tuesday
I ran my farthest run yet: 4.17 miles. I walked 5, ran 20, walked 5, ran 15.

Saturday
I ran for the LONGEST time running in a row (without stopping). I walked 5, ran for 30 MINUTES, and then walked 5. I felt Awesome afterwards. It was my best run yet!!

Monday
Today I walked 5, ran 20, walked 5, ran 13 for a distance of 4:11 miles. The run was hard, but I feel glad I got out and did it.

My right knee is beginning to bother me again. I've been wondering whether I should do more cross-training on it - weight lifting, elliptical, etc - to strengthen the muscles around the knee. I probably should, but I'm finding it hard to be motivated.

In fact, I'm generally finding it hard to be motivated to run. I think these are the reasons:

1. Running takes a lot of time. It takes me 30 minutes to get ready, and then I exercise for between 40 and 60 minutes. Then, after exercising, I stretch for another 30 minutes. Plus, it takes me 15 minutes each way to and from the gym. This works out to be about a 2-3 hour activity every day that I do it. That's a lot of time out of the day gone, which limits my ability to do other things. I find this limit frustrating, and often wish there were more time in my day.

2. Running is beginning to feel routine and boring. Admittedly, hitting the treadmill over and over again isn't the most interesting thing in the world. This is especially true when all that's playing on the TV's at the gym is news, SportsCenter, soap operas, and 1980's music videos. PLEASE. I need some new places to run, I think.

3. I feel like I'm not making very fast progress. I feel like I go, and I pound out the time on the treadmill, but I am not progressing. The truth is (and I have to admit this, because I can see it on my Nike+ and in the above stats) I am making progress, but it is slower than I would like. This has always been the case with me. When I was little and learning how to play the piano, I wanted to immediately play like a professional. I find it annoying that all good talents take time to grow. I suppose my greatest tragic flaw would have to be impatience.

I suppose running is teaching me lots of lessons. It's teaching me to prioritize what is and is not important (more so than usual). It is also showing me just how important variety is to my life - too much of the same thing can ruin a great thing. But, perhaps it is showing me most of all the importance of consistency and patience as I progress.  My bishop shared a really great quote the other day. I wanted to share it with you. It really sums up this major lesson that running has been teaching me. It states:


"What we need is not short frenzied outburst of emotion,
but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."

- Elder Dallin H Oaks, "Dedication of a Lifetime,"
CES Fireside for Young Adults, 1 May 2005.

2 comments:

AsK said...

Good job for your running this week! We went for a walk last night around the temple and today we washed the car. That's been the extent of my working out lately besides all the walking around and apt hunting in TX. I'm really proud of you for your progress. I know the gym is probably a lot cooler, but if you start by 5 or 6am you can get outside to some different scenery and you'll also have more time in your day. I bet the dry creek trail would be awesome for an early morning run and it's super close to your house!

kate said...

I worry that sometimes you think I'm being a "know-it-all" about running, so I hesitate saying anything. But "beginning runners" is what I kind of specialize in, and I'd be really happy to help you out as you progress (and you are progressing) toward your marathon. All the problems you're having are all ones I've either dealt with myself or with other people.

A few quick thoughts (as Beckett chills on my lap and Hamilton sleeps)...

*plyometrics would really help strengthen your knee, joints, etc.
*are you in the right shoe? i.e. neutral, stability, etc.?
*you cannot run the same basic run everyday...you will go crazy and you will plateau in a hurry, which will also make you crazy. definitely run outside (i only do the treadmill out of necessity), also try varying your speed (i.e. WU, regular pace for 5 min and up .5 for 2 than back down again x 4, WD).
*and Adam and Karen are right...you've got some sweet running spots out there. use them! want to hit the trail the morning of karen's shower? i think if someone pushed you--just a little bit (i'm nowhere near running shape and am not that mean)--you might be surprised at what you can actually do. i've done this for quite a number of people...my xc kids and my half-marathon ladies.
*finally, be sure to run on the treadmill at 1.0, or close to it, to better simulate running outside.