So, I didn't run today. But, that's okay.
Instead, I worked at Heald. I like working there. It has great students.
While I was working, I came across an article, written in the Spring 2009 Edition of RECAP: California Alliance of Paralegal Associations. In the article, by Melvin E. Irvin, he states the following.
"During the American Revolution, the American Pastor, Dr. Vernon Johnson, said, 'Be ashamed to die until you have done something good for mankind'. When I read those words, I asked myself, what have I done for mankind that is good?
"I have told many close friends that my goal in life is to earn a very simple Epitaph for my tombstone. 'He was a good man'."
I read this, and I thought about what he had said. I thought about all the tombstones I have read at the local cemetary as I exercised there. I thought about the book I just read, called The Graveyard Book (which was pretty good, actually).
Mostly, though, I thought about how it is a noble goal to want to earn an epitaph that states you WERE a good man, but what if humanity worked to earn this epitaph instead:
"He is the best of men."
Not that there's anything wrong with being good, but isn't there always something better we can become? And what's with the "was" on the headstone? It suggests that, after this life, we no longer have to be good.
I don't know about you, but I plan on continuing after this life, and I hope death doesn't cause me to stop being my best, and doing good for others. That would be a shame, indeed.
This said, though, it got me thinking about epitaphs. What is it that I hope my headstone reads at the end of my days?
Honestly, I hope that on my headstone it will say this: "She loved everyone she met, and they knew it."
Monday, May 17, 2010
Thoughts on Epitaphs
Posted by Spjutopia at 3:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
What about "she loves everyone she meets and they know it"...present tense...since life doesn't end.
-Karen
Post a Comment