I'm still visiting good ol' K-town. The family is all working today, and I didn't make any plans (which is why I'm already behind in my to do list - typical). Still, because I didn't have to be anywhere by a certain time, I had time to run. So, of course, I went down to the local cemetary to do this.
I love the cemetary here in town. A lot of people find it freaky to run around graves and headstones, but I think it is very peaceful. I remember once, as a child, telling my mom that I was afraid of the cemetary (which we always called "the graveyard" in my family - adding to the fear factor, I guess). She looked at me, stunned, and said, "Why? The cemetary is peaceful. It's a place of final rest. It's like being among many sleeping, happy, contented people. I think it's beautiful."
I was never afraid there again.
Today, I kept getting a stitch in my side as I ran. I don't know if it's lack of electrolytes, or lack of oxygen. Whatever the reason, it was LAME. But, it made me slow down and walk more than usual, which allowed me more time to reflect on things (rather than gasp for air in this 4,000 feet above sea level place). I noticed the pretty Rocky Mountains, capped with snow, and blanketed in light fog. It was cold today - 35 degrees Fahrenheit - and you could smell the wood smoke from local chimneys in the air, mingled with the crisp smell of high mountain pine trees.
I felt sad that I wasn't able to run more than I did, but I was happy that I ran/walked 3.14 in 45 minutes, with not too much muscle effort (aside from my lungs, which were struggling). With a little luck, and some blessings, I may very well be on my way to a PR for Saturday's 5k, even in altitude. Miraculous.
All in all, though, it was a beautiful exercise. The whole time ran, I just kept hearing what my sister said after she moved back from California years ago. She said, "You know, I'm just not a California girl. I love the ocean. I love the sun. But, when it comes down to it, I'm just a traditional, Rocky Mountain girl, and proud of it."
And, you know, I couldn't have said it better myself.
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Running @ Home
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment