Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Why I Love Yellow

Today it seemed like the fates were against me.

First off, my iPod didn't work (argh). It actually FROZE. I didn't even know they did that! Thank heavens for Google, which saved the day. I pushed the Menu & Center buttons simultaneously (as per online instructions) and it unfroze. But, then the computer wouldn't recognize it (I eventually had to reset that to - again with a big thank you to Google).

It all made me late for my run - 30 minutes late, to be exact.

This normally isn't a problem, but I was fitting in a run at the beginning of a VERY busy day. I was so tempted to NOT run, but to go back to bed and sleep (I woke up early and still felt tired).

I told myself I was not going to be tempted by this:

The cute cuddle monster.

He was, tricksilly enough, perfectly placed here:


I wanted to join him really badly, but I didn't.

Instead, I strapped on my shoes (which got him off the bed because he thought we might be going for a walk. Sorry, Dog!), grabbed my malfunctioning iPod, and left for the gym.

I had a better workout today than yesterday. I owe much of it to the book I've been reading about running a marathon. It suggested I run a movie of a good runner in my head, and my body would naturally follow. The only problem was that I started the day with almost no positive energy. I had struggled to run yesterday, and I had that image stuck in my head. So, in an effort to conquer my inner critic, I looked today for someone on the lower level who was running. I decided to make them my movie of a good runner.

My complete gratitude goes out to the yellow shirt lady. I don't know who she is, but she had a good pace, a solid run, and she provided the necessary movie for me to visualize what running should look like. My body naturally followed suit, and the whole run was easier because of her. So, wherever you are, Yellow Shirt Lady - THANK YOU!

I still had some discomfort and random muscle cramping (yuck), but I pushed through it with Ms. Yellow's help and shining, motivational example, and I had a very successful run.

Even more miraculously, I made it home from the run in time to shower, get to my work meeting, and then to teaching with one minute to spare before class started. Total. Miracle.

The rest of the day was crazy, as usual, with its ups and downs. But, all day long I looked back to that run as a source of strength. When other stuff came up I kept thinking, "well, at least I ran today," and felt good about it.

0 comments: