Friday, April 16, 2010

Pain: My Badge of Honor


Is it weird that I like feeling a bit sore when I come home from the gym?? It's like a badge of honor: proof that I worked out my muscles and moved my body; proof that everything I am doing is making a difference physically. It feels good to be a bit sore, I think.

Admittedly, I don't like feeling sore for the next 24 hours. So...ibuprofen and ice bath, here I come.

Today was a cross-training day. I started out sore, but loosened up quickly, and then felt really good the rest of the workout. I anticipate tomorrow will feel good, too, because tomorrow is a day off in preparation for my long run on Sunday morning on the outdoor route. I'm excited to see if this week of exercise makes that particular run feel any easier. I keep thinking it won't, and reminding myself to visualize a positive outcome - visualize success.

Sometimes I think I'm crazy doing all this self-talk, and self-motivation. How many sane people actually talk to themselves, eh? I guess that's the point, though. As soon as I decided to be a runner, and to run a marathon, it became possible for me to be officially considered certifiably insane.

I love being that kind of crazy.

1 comments:

kate said...

at the risk of offending you...

last time you talked about doing a marathon you said you would do a a program's week in two weeks. that would actually be pretty detrimental to your training. marathon training (the mileage, the timing, the types of runs you're doing, how you work in weights) is a science...if you want to complete one successfully. i'm sure adam would be happy to talk to you about it...me too.