Yesterday - Sunday - was the first time I've run outside in a little over a week (or more). I decided to hit the road again because it was Sunday and I refuse to cause others to work on the Sabbath. So, no gym for me.
It was a pretty day outside, albeit hotter than I normally like when I'm running. I decided to run my regular route backwards (meaning I was running forwards, but I was taking the route the other way around from normal ending point to normal starting point). It went well except for two things:
1. I had to pee. This is not normally a problem, but for some reason I really had to use that bathroom, and I was a quarter through the run. There was NO WAY I was going to make it through the run sans bathroom. So, I had two options:
Option B: I could run back home and use my bathroom.
Obviously, I ran back home. Sorry, folks, porta potties scare me.
The run itself, though, went well. I pushed myself, enjoyed the weather, and felt really good about a Sunday morning run as part of my day of rest. I'm tempted, at least until the weather gets hot, to make this a regular activity. That may only be for a couple of weeks, though.
The only downside to the run was that I realized just how slow I run. It felt like I was running at a snail's pace, even though I knew I wasn't. This was made worse by the man who passed me a the beginning, and then HALFWAY around the loop, and he was WALKING. I've rarely felt so ashamed.
But, I just kept plodding along on the route despite my personal feelings of embarassment, and I kept reminding myself of the tortoise and the hare. Consistency is the key. After all, slow and steady does win the race, even if that means stopping for occassional potty breaks.


1 comments:
Keep it up! I know Adam says running outside is better for training for a marathon, and I know Fresno gets uncomfortably hot! I used to ride my bike alongside Adam while he trained (since I don't get the joy from running that you do, but I still wanted to be with him) and sometimes we'd start while it was dark outside just so it wouldn't get too hot by the time we were finished. That helped A LOT!! It's hard to get out of bed that early, but it's worth it! AND, you'll have to get up that early and run in the dark for the marathon anyway. Excited for you...keep up the training even though you feel slow now, you'll get faster! Good luck on your next run.
Love, Karen
Post a Comment