Saturday, July 24, 2010

There and Back Again

So...I have been a bit remisce in my writing, but since most of the people who read this blog are family (thanks for indulging me, you guys), and I've been remisce because I've been busy with family stuff, I haven't felt too bad about it.

Plus, I have been running - sort of. I have kept it up only about once a week in the midst of the craziness, but I have been glad to keep it up at least that much.

The first run of the last month, post-sickness, was with Kate. We ran up at Huntington Lake, and I nearly died. I was worried about that run because I had been sick recently and because I knew Kate likes to push her co-runners. It was probably the hardest run I've done, and I felt sick afterwards for a bit until I cooled down. Still, though, it was AWESOME to run in the mountains and I felt AWESOME for doing it afterwards.

Then, before I knew it, it was July 4th. My sister, Yvette, flew out to stay with us. While she was out here, we went to the gym once, ran on the streets once, AND went on a 9 mile hike in Yosemite.

Me, in Yosemite, in the stereotypical Ansel Adams place.

The hike involved a 1 1/2 hour bus trip to the top of Glaciar Point. Then, we hiked downhill for about 3 miles, uphill for about 1 mile, and back downhill the remaining 5 miles, past two waterfalls (because of the rain and increased winter melting, we thought we'd forgo the Mist Trail - too wet). We had quite the adventure on that little hike! On our way up the mountain we spotted a baby fawn frolicking with her Mama. Then, five minutes into the hike, we saw a Mama Bear and her two little cubs (DARLING, but scary). We also saw lizards galore and some pretty yellow and red birds. From the top of the mountain, we saw rain clouds chucking rain on us and heard very close thunder (also nerve racking), and we managed to walk through a lot of mud on the way down as a result. On the drive home, we happened to see two separate, lone coyotes. It was amazing!

By the end of the hike, it was dark and we were exhausted, but happy. It was such a beautiful, perfect day, in spite of the rain and the pain in my knees as a result.

Half Dome, as seen from the top of Glaciar Point - check out that sky!
Breathtaking.
 
The Mama Bear. Also breathtaking, in a different way.
 
Then, we went off to Utah. I didn't take pictures of it, so that's too bad. We drove to Utah, via the Shakespearean Festival, where we got to stop and watch a show with our friend Michael in it. It was good to see him again. After returning to my parents' house, we spent the next week working on school work, job applications, and sorting through a bunch of boxes.
 
I ran only once in Utah, and it was with Aaron. It is one of my BEST memories from the trip, actually, because Aaron ran right alongside me the entire way. I knew it was hard for him to slow himself down for me, but I was really grateful for it. Even though we did very little talking, it was motivating just to have him run beside me. Goodness, I love that man.
 
One week later, we were on the road again coming back to Fresno. This time, we drove straight through and arrived at 3am. Here's the thing about super long drives - I can't do them in a bra. So, at about Baker I became bra-less, figuring it didn't matter since only Aaron was in the car with me. After arriving and unpacking the car in Fresno, we went grocery shopping. The only problem was, in the midst of car unloading, I couldn't find the bra. So, Winco was interesting...3am, bra-less, totally delirious from exhaustion. Good times.
 
Anyhow, last week was a start week at Heald. It nearly killed us, or maybe it was just me. I'm now working 14 hour days, straight, on Mondays and Wednesdays. I lost my voice, and I've had allergies/coughing ever since our return. Welcome to the Central Valley, I guess.
 
Also this week, we had Alan move in with us! Hooray! He's been an absolute delight so far, keeping his space clean and organized, and even helping unload the dishwasher several times before I woke up (as a special surprise, I guess). It's been AWESOME having him here.
 
We've also had Adam and Karen visiting, too. They've been really nice, and it's been great to see them. We've had lunch and dinner with them a couple times, and last night they cooked this amazing, gourmet chinese meal with us. It was PHENOMENAL, and so much fun. We've also been playing a lot of Kubb at the park next door, which seems to have our neighbors confused. But, it's been really fun to spend so much time with family, and I feel very spoiled to be able to see them right now.
 
Now, if only I could get to bed earlier rather than staying up and hanging out (ha ha ha - like I am ever going to get to bed early, even if there wasn't socializing to do).
 
As far as exercise, I've only been running once since we got back, but it felt good. I was surprised at what a change came over me, mood-wise, just by running. Nice. I suppose it just goes to show that it's been a good thing to keep it up, even if I feel very behind where I should be physically. Oh well, at least I've been up to all sorts of other fun, good stuff. Surely, on the day of the half marathon, that's what's really going to count, right?? I hope so.

0 comments: