Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Eternal Youth is Worth a Little Suffering


First, the good news: Yesterday I ran a 9 minute mile, then walked for 5 minutes, and ran non-stop for another 3/4 of a mile.

Now, the truth: Yesterday's run was HARD.

I had to stop before finishing the second mile because I was experiencing so much pain. I pushed through it as long as I could, but then had to stop. The only problem was that I had to walk home, half-doubled over and upset to my stomach. I was ill for almost 30 more minutes after I got home, though the nausea did eventually pass.

I have no explanation for this. I hadn't done anything differently as far as eating, and I had been hydrating as usual.

Weird.

It was psychologically rough, though, because I had been feeling so successful, and then WHAM, I suddenly felt sick, sick, sick. It made me start to question my goals. I started to wonder, "is this really wise to be running and pushing myself like this?"

I know, though, that it is wise, and it is worth it. It was worth it to be able to say I'd run so far, so quickly. Yesterday I ran my fastest mile time EVER, achieving an obvious PR.

Totally worth it.

0 comments: