Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Shoulda Woulda Coulda, Gatorade

Today's run was a nice, toasty, 81°F. That was on the treadmill, INSIDE the building. Outside, it's a balmy 105°F. Ugh (and sweaty). This brings up an interesting point - why do people feel the need to turn off the air conditioner in the exercise room?! I find that very aggravating.

I also discovered something interesting today - I should be careful not to run in 81°F weather, inside a stuffy building, having not eaten for nearly four hours, while watching some fellow-exercise-chick's trashy latina rap music videos. This is because the combination resulted in getting shaky, nearly passing out, and general feelings of, "yuck - did the music video really just show all that to me on an empty stomach, or did the sweat running down my forehead somehow distort the picture?" Either way, I remembered why I hated rap, why I don't like watching television, and why I never was much of a music video afficionado. Oh, yeah, and that I need to bring candies to suck on when I go running (or gatorade), so I don't wobble home with the shakes.

In other news, the countdown is on. Next year's Ogden Marathon is set for May 15, 2010. Registration starts on October 1, 2009.

I'm going to run it!!

Anyone who wants to join me is welcome to (I would be THRILLED if you did, but don't be upset if I run my own pace and don't aim to "win" it. This is, after all, my first marathon. My goals are as follows: 1) to FINISH it, not to be the next surprise Olympian; and 2) to enjoy it.). From what I've heard, it's mostly downhill (so bad knees beware), but it's one of the most beautiful marathons in America. My sister's friend has run over 50 marathons throughout the U.S. He said that, of all the marathons, this was his favorite one. He runs it every year. I couldn't have received a better recommendation! So, I'm doing it.

Next year, this will be me (okay maybe not breaking the tape, but I will be crossing the finish line):

So, if several hours of pounding your body into a pulp after months of training, and doing so downhill on a beautiful course for $70 sounds fun to you, too, go here to find out how to join in!
I must be a glutton for punishment.

Regardless, as of today, the countdown is on: exactly 10 months until race day (44 weeks and 2 days, for a total of 310 days).

Admittedly, I've been remisce. I haven't run for a long time, and I haven't put my umph into it like I ought to have. But, I'm not going to "should" on myself. Instead, I'm looking forward. The good news in, I've cut back on work. So, I've discovered something fantastic - I have time to run now!

Here's my plan:

Month 1: Work to be able to run for 30 minutes straight (this shows just how remisce I've been if I can't do this any more. A month ought to be plenty of time to get things back up to par).

Month 2: Increase running speed to 5k in 30 minutes (again, no comment - just improvement).

Following this, I am going to pretty much follow the 16 week plan in The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer, by Whitsett, Dolgener, and Kole. There's plenty of time, so I can even spend 2 weeks on each one of their 1 week plans (knowing me, I'll need the extra time). Whatever happens, I'll keep you posted on the details when I get running with them.

In the meantime, today's run should have been easy, but the heat made it hard. That's good, though. Any time that I can discover how I handle difficult situations, it's a good thing. In this case, this meant going through the alphabet and assigning each letter a positive word to get me through the last two minutes of the run.

Most importantly of all, though, is that I've chalked up one day of success. Now, only 309 more to go (and counting!).

0 comments: